The process and where we are now
This summer when raising awareness of racial inequality was racing across the county, Marin County citizens started to take a critical look at some of the symbols, monuments and public figures/individuals associated with the institution of slavery here in our own backyard. Much of this focus has been on Sir Francis Drake: including Sir Francis Drake Boulevard, the Drake ‘statue” in Larkspur (which has been removed), and the High School originally named after Sir Francis Drake, and now called the 1327 High School.
This discussion began to grow with many calling to rename the Boulevard. Supervisor Rice and I led a Listening Session, along with representatives for all jurisdictions along SFD to hear from all our constituents. This was followed by a Learning Session to dig deeper into the road’s history and original naming, begin to understand a bit more about Drake the Man, hear from our indigenous Miwok residents learn about how this issue overlaps with the County's equity efforts. (Visit the Marin County Free Library’s Drake Boulevard History Resource Page to view recorded sessions in English or Spanish and learn more.)
Since then, Supervisor Rice and I have continued to meet with the ‘Working Group’ (representatives for all jurisdictions along SFD), Town Managers and staff to explore potential impacts/costs to residents and businesses if the name were to change. The Working Group recently agreed to take the question as to whether to move forward with renaming Sir Francis Drake Blvd. to their respective communities by March 31, 2021 (Phase 1). This process will conclude with a public hearing in each jurisdiction (on current County plans we expect that to be no earlier than March 9th).
If an agency votes to change the name, it will take up the question of a new name as part of Phase 2. Ideally that process would be consistent along all jurisdictions and completed by the time the road improvements are slated to be completed along SFD (fall 2021).
Moving Forward/How to Participate
- Rodoni-Rice Town Hall for unincorporated residents/businesses along the SFD corridor, in English with Spanish interpretation or ASL & CDI (with an opportunity for Q&A too).
www.zoom.us/Join or call (669) 900-6833,
Meeting ID: 994 2269 4295, Attendee ID: #, Password: 212141.
English with Spanish interpretation or ASL & CDI
- Outreach to West Marin Villages along SFD Blvd.:
- San Geronimo Planning Group 2/8/21 @ 7:30pm (Zoom link)
- Point Reyes Station Village Association 2/11/21 @ 6:30pm (Zoom link & details will be posted on webpage)
(Zoom link & details to be posted on webpage)
- Olema Valley Association & Inverness Park Village Association 2/16/21 @ 6pm(Zoom link)
- Inverness Association 2/24/21 @ 7pm (Zoom link available by contacting the Association)
- Board of Supervisors Hearing
- March 9 (tentative) to discuss and vote for/against moving forward with name change. (Agenda will be posted on the BOS meeting webpage 5 days prior to the hearing.)
For more information view the Sir Francis Drake Renaming FAQ, and visit this webpage for ongoing updates, or just reach out to me and my staff with your comments or questions.