Illegal Discharge Contacts
What to do for Illegal Stormwater Discharges
Follow steps below to anonymously report an illegal discharge (eg. litter, sediment, oil, paint, wash waters, etc.) into a storm drain, creek, wetland, bay or ocean.
If you are witnessing an illegal discharge
- During normal business hours call your local illegal discharge contact listed below.
- After normal business hours call the Marin County Sheriff non-emergency line (415) 473-7233.
- For an emergency or a spill involving hazardous materials or hazardous waste call 911 or your local Fire Department
- For spills into creeks, wetlands, bays or the ocean: call the California Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) at (800) 852-7550
If the discharge has already occurred and is not an emergency or immediate threat
- Complete this online form or contact your local stormwater agency listed below.
Experiencing an orange substance in the creek? - It may be the presence of an organism living in the water. Check out "The Story of Iron Oxidizing Bacteria."
MCSTOPPP Local Contacts: Illegal Discharges or Creek Violations
Other Agency Violations
- To report habitat destruction, fish kills, or poaching, call the California Department of Fish and Wildlife at 1-888-334-2258.
- To report pesticide misuse or contamination, call the Department of Agriculture Weights and Measures at 415-473-6700.
- To report litterers (trash, cigarettes, items blowing from untarped truck/trailer loads) on the highways/freeways call the Highway patrol M-F 8am-5pm at 1-707-551-4100. Please include: Date and time of incident, License plate number, Car make and model, Location where you saw the incident, Which person in the vehicle threw the cigarette and/or trash.